Short-Term Scientific Mission (STSM)
The aim of a Short-Term Scientific Mission (STSM) shall be to contribute to the scientific objectives of a COST Action.
These Missions (Exchange Visits) are aimed at strengthening the existing networks by allowing scientists to go to an institution or laboratory in another COST Country to foster collaboration, to learn a new technique or to take measurements using instruments and/or methods not available in their own institution/laboratory. They are particularly intended for young scientists.
Short-Term Scientific Missions, minimum one week (5 working days), maximum 3 months, shall be made within the time frame of the operation identified in the proposal and within the period of the respective Action.
(For more information see 4 of http://www.cost.esf.org/module/download/8321)
The applications for STSM is assessed on an “as received” basis (not by fixed collection date) by the STSM Training Committee of the COST Action FP0905. The STSM Coordinator is appointed by the MC committee of COST Action FP0905 to receive applications and liaise as necessary between the applicant, the STSM Training Committee and the Grant Holder.
The STSM Training Committee will make the scientific and budgetary assessment and take the final decision which will be communicated to the Applicant by the STSM Coordinator.
The STSM coordinator informs the Grant Holder that the proposed STSM has been approved in the form of an e-mail stating “Subject: STSM Reference number, COST Action number, grantees name” (see 4.10.4 - Approval from the Management Committee of http://www.cost.esf.org/module/download/8321)
Early Stage Researchers (ESR) (less than PhD + 8 years) will be given preference in the approval.
The submission of the application has to follow the following steps:
1. APPROVAL: The applicants are kindly asked to provide the STSM Coordinator (STMS Evaluation criteria) with the following material:
- work plan (download template)
- planned budget (download template)
- motivation letter (clearly explaining the benefit of the applicant from visiting another institute)
- letter of support from the host institute with the period of the visit (clearly accepting the work plan of the applicant)
- letter of support from the home institute
- curriculum vitae (download template)
2. SUBMISSION : These documents must be submitted by this form
3. PROCEDURE SUBMISSION: AFTER STSM Training Committee APPROVAL, the Applicant must use the on-line registration tool (see 4.10 - How to submit an application of: http://www.cost.esf.org/module/download/8321)
NB: The application with the approval of the STSM Training Committee have to be sent to the Grant Holder at least 4 weeks before the STSM starts (this is mandatory) using the online registration tool (https://e-services.cost.eu/w3/index.php?id=91)